Oracle has transformed the traditional PeopleSoft application life cycle management with the introduction of PeopleSoft Selective Adoption. The traditional planned upgrade and downtime now take place throughout the year as a normal part of updating and maintaining the system. The idea behind the change is to provide customers with smaller maintenance updates while lowering costs and system disruption.
PeopleSoft 9.2 is the last traditional full upgrade release, and moving forward a full application upgrade is no longer required once you are on this version. This isn’t a sign that Oracle is nearing end of life with PeopleSoft or that they won’t provide any additional releases or enhancements. PeopleSoft 9.1 and earlier version required customers to undergo large upgrades to new releases in order to stay current, PeopleSoft Selective Adoption offers new features and functionality through a continuous delivery model, streamlining the delivery of new enhancements.
What Is Selective Adoption?
Selective Adoption allows you to apply and schedule PeopleSoft fixes and new features on your timeline and based on your business needs, this puts the customer in control of when and how to apply fixes and new features as well as deciding what to apply. The new PeopleSoft enhancements and updates are easy to apply and delivered using the PeopleSoft Update Manager (PUM) and PeopleSoft Change Assistant.
What is a PUM Strategy?
Let’s start by distinguishing the difference between traditional maintenance (updates) and an application upgrade for your PeopleSoft environment. Prior to PeopleSoft 9.2, regulatory changes and bug fixes were applied in two ways, through maintenance Bundles/Service Packs or Major Application Upgrades. Customers now use PUM to apply PeopleSoft Update Images (PIs), in place of traditional bundles and maintenance packs. PeopleSoft Update Images (PIs) are a combination of regulatory changes and bug fixes along with new features and functionality. With the release of PeopleSoft 9.2 maintaining your PeopleSoft environment now requires the review and implementation of application updates from PeopleSoft Update Images (PIs).
Here are a few tips for an effective Selective Adoption Strategy:
- Immediately apply critical tax, regulatory, and security updates using the latest Update Image
- Monthly or Quarterly apply scheduled, low-cost, high impact features and fixes. These are small, targeted efforts that require little development time and have a low impact on users.
- Bi-Annual or Annually update to current maintenance PUM levels and take advantage of all the latest new features.
When your products are up-to-date, applications run better and future features and maintenance are easier to apply. Choose scheduling that works best for your organization--stagger updates to occur at different times or do them all at once.
PUM Strategy Managed Services
NRC Managed Services are an extension of your internal support team. By partnering with NRC, your team has direct access to our PeopleSoft Functional and Technical experts to assist or outsource your PUM update needs. With NRC you get:
- Personalized solutions where customer service and responsiveness to your team is our #1 priority
- Best Practice expertise from our team of seasoned resources with diverse technical skills
- Automatic monitoring, notification, and scheduling of updates
- Impact analysis and review of new functionality
- PeopleSoft Test Framework (PTF) integration methodology
Utilizing NRC’s PUM Managed Services options allows your organization to maximize the benefits of the new continuous delivery model by staying current on Image/Updates while freeing up internal resources to focus on organizational goals while increasing productivity.
PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 PUM Image 23
Each PUM image contains updates, fixes, or possibly new functionality. As referenced above, some releases are more critical than others, such as the latest PUM 23 released in July 2017.
A few highlights of PUM 23 that many customers have been waiting to see include:
- Employee Onboarding: New onboarding solution using fluid activity guides
- Employee Snapshot for HR: New features include Career Planning Dashboard and Compensation Review Dashboard.
- Dotted Line Reporting for HR
- Payroll for North America–Component Lockdown: Allows Payroll Manager or Admin to lock down components on demand or during a specified time.
The full release of features can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tWWipzTUo